Sunday 24 May 2020

Recreating Paintings in Quarantine

During the lockdown in southern California I have been keeping busy.  I'm doing some freelance writing, I'm reading, I'm cleaning and I'm doing art.

I'm doing all kinds of art.

I have begun painting, making dollhouse miniatures and most recently I've started recreating paintings with things from around the house.  This whole thing was started by The Getty Museum Challenge and you can find other fine recreations under the hashtags #gettymuseumchallenge and #betweenartandquarantine

For the first one depicted below I've recreated Tissot's painting, The Widower.

Madder Hatter's Recreation of the painting The Widower, (1876) by James Tissot
My Recreation and Tissot's The Widower

And that was so much fun that I decided I need to recreate a few more paintings.


So here is my recreation of Henry Fuseli's The Nightmare.


Madder Hatter's recreation of the painting The Nightmare (1781) by Henry Fuseli
The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli and a recreation with Jojo the cat.








The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli












My recreation of The Nightmare - featuring my cat AKA Jojen aka JoJo


I didn't want my dogs to feel left out by all the fun that Cat and I were having so the next few recreations involve them.

This is Charles van den Eycken's painting titled "Willpower" 1891

Charles van den Eycken's painting "Willpower" 1891

Madder Hatter's recreation of Charles van den Eycken's painting "Willpower" 1891




My poor fools were so confused about what they could and couldn't eat after this they almost were reluctant to take the treats when I gave them to my boys by hand.


Next is the recreation of Briton Rivière's painting Requiescat from 1888.


Madder Hatter's recreation of Briton Rivière's painting Requiescat (1888)

Shadow snuffled my hand for treats the entire time we tried to do this photo.  Not smiling was almost harder than keeping his attention when he thought treats were a hopeless endeavor and tried to give up.


Next is a recreation of Compulsory Education, also painted by Briton Rivière.

Madder Hatter's recreation of the painting Compulsory Education (1887) by Briton Rivière

Do not let Rocky's mournful eyes deceive you.  He was so excited by the treats that came out of this photoshoot that he happily traipsed over for more than one take.  


The next painting is untitled but commonly referred to as Knight Resting with Dog by Nicaise De Keyser

Madder Hatter's recreation of the painting Knight Resting with Dog (1841) by Nicaise De Keyser

The amazing armour dress and leggings I'm wearing are from Lorica Clothing, the Sackville skater dress and the Sackville leggings. All of their products are amazing, if you have need of comfy armour dresses or leggings I advise you look for them at Lorica Clothing.


The next is a painting by Thomas Weaver and is titled The Dunearn Ox c.1812-1815

Madder Hatter's recreation of the painting The Dunearn Ox (1812-1815) by Thomas Weaver



The Dunearn Ox (1812-1815) by Thomas Weaver


No, really though, why are so many portraits of cows so rectangular?  If you're interested in this particular phenomenon you may want to check out this article on rectangular cows in UK art

Madder Hatter's recreation of the painting The Dunearn Ox (1812-1815) by Thomas Weaver


I thought my rabbit had a nice scale next to my "cow".  Doesn't Shadow make a fine cow? I thought so anyway.  So, I decided to take advantage of his lovely cowhide (tshirt situation) and take another pastoral photograph with Rocky too.


This one, Animals Resting in the Pasture is a painting by Paulus Potter

Madder Hatter's recreation of the painting Animals Resting in the Pasture (1649) by Paulus Potter

Aren't my cows fine? Don't I make an enviable farmer? I'm marriageable at the very least, if I'm not the envy of the county with such fine cows as these.  It is a truth universally acknowledged that a woman in possession of a fine herd of dogs, I mean cows, must be in want of a husband.  Or perhaps just an occupation.

Ok, so technically this next one is a woodcut not a painting.  But I think it still counts, it's very much a recreation.  

This is a woodcut by Hans Holbein the Younger called either the Chandler or The Peddler for the Dance of Death series c.1526.


and here is my recreation of it...






No comments:

Post a Comment