Monday 5 October 2020

Memory Struggles with Lyme

One of the difficult things for me with Lyme Disease is the way it has been affecting my memory.  It comes and goes so I can't say I always forget things or rely on what capabilities I will have.

On and off I can't think of the word to say for a thing.  Sometimes I can see the word in my head, like I'm reading it in my mind, but I can't physically say it.  

I forget what I'm going to say mid way through a sentence.  I forget what I was trying to write down by the time the paper and pen are ready to write it.  

Then I'll be fine and remember everything for a few weeks.  Then I seem to lose all ability to use language in a normal manner.  I get frustratedly tongue-tied.  I use hand gestures and get nothing productive to come out of my mouth.

A week or two ago I forgot how to tie a bow.  Three days later I suddenly had my brain recall the information and I felt so stupid.  

Yesterday I tried to braid my hair and I couldn't.  I couldn't keep track of where my fingers were and I couldn't remember what to do next with them.  

I sat on the living room floor and cried.  I've been able to braid my hair since elementary school.  And now at 33 I can't do it anymore because of the way that Lyme Disease impacts my memory.  

Sometimes it honestly scares me.  I'm not sure I can tell you for a certainty what I'm capable of anymore.  It could all come and go as randomly and quickly as my symptoms. 

Have you ever dealt with something like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment