Saturday 5 December 2020

A Doctor who Listens, Hallelujah!

This week marks my first visit to the third doctor I've gone to for Lyme Disease.  The first was a fine doctor, diagnosed me, but is not Lyme Literate and encouraged me to go looking for someone who was.  The second doctor claimed to be Lyme Literate, but for reasons which may be largely personal was a disaster for me.  Doctor number two was also very heavily into running tests.  As all of us poor unfortunate souls with Lyme know, testing is inconclusive, expensive, miserable, and rarely especially helpful.  We need a doctor who listens and can treat our symptoms even if a test cannot confirm that we have Lyme and a sordid assortment of co-infections.  

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased to report that I believe have found a near-mythical beast, a Doctor who listens.  Doctor number three is Lyme Literate!  Doctor #3 listens to what I say about my symptoms!  Dr. #3 already has a treatment plan, no other tests required!

I truly cannot say what a relief it is to believe I finally have a Doctor in my corner who knows how to treat Lyme and is willing to start working with me on it.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a long road.  My initial treatment plan involves getting my gut back in working order before we try to put me back on gnarly antibiotics or any other drugs.  

It's necessary work, my gut is a disaster after nearly a year of being on antibiotics (on and off, but mostly on) with little effect.   So, the process is going to take a bit of time.  But as Dr. #3 says, beating Lyme is like playing chess.  You have to know where you want to be three moves ahead and see what things you can do to get there.  It's long, it's difficult, it's a war, not a single battle.  And I aim to win with Dr. #3 as my royal strategist by my side.  

Lord, please grant that my Doctor has answers, that my body responds, and that my healing is swift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment